Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Philosophy of Art Education

Philosophy of Art Education
“Ongoing”
By: Emily Dusart

Every individual talent takes dedication and practice. With that said, I would not have my ability to draw if I had not filled up sketchbook after sketchbook with drawings that creatively expressed my personality. Watching students transform a blank canvas into a work of art that poured from their hearts and minds is truly a rewarding experience. An artwork can be planned with careful thought and technical execution, or sometimes it is simply a spontaneous experience that begins with a single paint stroke on a blank canvas. Though I teach my students, whichever approach they take, art should be a personal experience and journey no matter the media used. The creative process should always be as important as the final product in the art room. It is my job as an art educator to foster creativity, enabling my students to realize their gift/talent. Also, to appreciate their artist skill and to use it as a method of expression, as they continue on their path.
We are surrounded by art every day of our lives, from the dishware we eat off of to the clothes we wear, as well as the modern technologies that surround us within our society. Art education programs in schools are therefore very valuable to the growth of our students. More and more companies are looking for creative thinkers, those who can think on various levels and bring fresh new ideas into the world. I believe in the visual art programs in all schools and I believe in making a difference by challenging my students with projects that enable them to become problem solvers, creative and inventive thinkers.
Every student should experience their creativity through their own world, and their own beliefs with whatever media they choose. I will end by saying, “No one can tell you what art is. It should come from your own response to the natural beauty of your surroundings and how you perceive your world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Art Education Blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.